Monday 5 November 2012

Leaves in Resin

I'm not quite ready for winter to come, as much as I'm loving all the chunky knit sweaters and cozy tights everywhere. I've been collecting and drying out leaves, which are now beautifully displayed in resin!


I love these! And when I say that, I mean it. Out of everything I make, it's rare that I make something that I'm as happy with as these. Perfectionist to a fault, possibly, constantly wanting to do better. There was actually a fifth but the oak leaves dried a boring brown and left the rest of the pendant looking flat. I didn't even finish it and it went in the garbage.

They're crystal clear and super colourful. I can't wait to get a few more mold shapes (I have no idea what happened to my rectangular one...) as I feel these would look great in an assortment of shapes and sizes. Also, their colours are going to hold me over all winter when it's cold and I'm longing for my favourite season to come back again.

I took all my leaves and tucked them into the heaviest book I own (The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy), and left them pressed between parchment paper for a few days. Once they were done I put them right away into resin in hopes of preserving as much color as possible. I'm not sure what these will do long term, but for the time being I think they look wonderful.

Fresh out of the book!
The obligatory work in progress shot.



No comments:

Post a Comment