Tuesday 26 June 2012

Tutorial: Geometric Necklace


You can make your own geometric shaped necklace in ~10 minutes with 4 things that you probably already have.

Materials:
A chain
Strong glue
Sandpaper
And... Staples?!

How to:


-Get your staples. I like the colourful kinds myself and thought the 3 colours went nicely together. Break the staple sticks (for lack of a better word) into the lengths that you want.

-Sand the corners where it will touch your skin.. Don't want you getting scratched! I found a fine grain sandpaper and just a couple swipes worked fine.



-Glue the pieces together by putting glue on the shorter piece and pushing them together. I also put some glue across the whole back part to keep them together a bit better. I think a popcicle stick would fit there really good to make it super sturdy but alas.. I had no popcicles. Make sure you don't put so much glue so that it pushes out to the front area.


-Add glue along the edge and press the chain into it. Let dry and you're set!


There are so many possibilities! I'd love to see your versions if you try this.

7 comments:

  1. Cute idea and I really like the colors you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely idea.. but wont the back of the staples scratch your neck?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it was fine after sanding the edges down :) if you are worried about that you could always put some glue right across the edges to cover it up.

      Delete
  3. How clever! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. would it be okay if i paint the staples? i can't find those kind of staples here at my place. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see why not! I've seen blogs where people colour them with sharpies, or paint similar things with nail polish. :)

      Delete