Friday 29 June 2012

Tutorial: Square Scarf Shirt




Make a fun and simple shirt out of a square scarf and not much else!

Materials:
Square scarf. (choose one that fits around your ribs)
Rope, chain, or lace.
Grommets and grommet punch.

How to:


Hold the scarf up to your body. Pin where you want the straps to sit (either use your bra straps for reference, or eyeball it) I accidentally spaced mine a bit further apart than I wanted, but I didn't notice until it was too late. Oh well :).



Poke a hole and put a grommet in each side. 

Tie a piece of lace through the grommet, around the back of your neck and to the other side. Make sure it fits comfy. (Not pictured, sorry)


Grab the sides of the scarf and pull it around to your back. Take note of how high and low you want the closures to go to.



Measure and mark one inch spaces along each side of the scarf where you want the closure to go and add grommets along the way.

Before I decided to add more grommets to the top.
Lace everything up and you're ready!

Notes: I found since the scarf isn't stretchy its easier to lace up the back, turn it around, then tie the neck. I also didn't take care to make proper holes for the grommets to go (nor did I make them even) and just stretched holes in the scarf. It's old, the fabric is thin and I pulled the threads doing this but I don't care. Just keep in mind if you're going to use a scarf you really like, take more care in how you install the grommets. Or close it some other way. Next time I make this (with a better quality scarf) I'm going to close the back with a short zipper and do over the shoulder straps. Its your shirt, do with it what you want!


I told you it had potential!

No comments:

Post a Comment