Saturday 12 November 2011

Love for your eardrums

This post is a little different. Instead of talking about crafts, I'm going to talk about something I find very inspiring, and something that helps me work for the hours on end from the creating of a thought to the details of a finished product. Music.

I just discovered this morning that one of my favourite bands, Florence and the Machine have a new album. I'm giving it its first listen right now and it is so overly amazing. Her voice is enchanting and gets stuck in my head in the most wonderful ways and I am so happy to have new music to listen to. If you haven't heard their music before, or only heard a single or to, take the time to sit down to listen to her album (either of them) as a whole. I am a strong believer of listening to music as an album as opposed to songs. Yes, I make and listen to playlists, and shuffle songs, but if you want a truly great experience, find a great album and listen to it the whole way through. All earlier this week it was Muse flowing through my speakers, with breaks of Coeur de Pirate's 'Blonde' album and Feist's new 'Metals' album.

I used to rarely listen to female vocalists (with the exception of Sheryl Crow and No Doubt when I was young, and The Spice Girls of course.. haha) but recently I'm finding many more that I like.

If you want some new music to listen to, here are 10 artist suggestions in no particular order, with over half being female vocalists. I must force myself to stop at 10 or I will have a list so long it won't help anyone.. This music is VERY varied so I hope that you give it all a chance to see if you like it. Album names (that I am suggesting, not necessarily all) are in brackets and I've included a video so you can sample each artist without going anywhere. You're welcome ;).

1: Florence and the Machine (Lungs, Ceremonials)


2: Coeur de Pirate (Blonde, Coeur de Pirate)


3: Feist (Metals)


4: Grand Theft Bus (Birth of Confusion)


5: fun. (Aim and Ignite)



6: Slowcoaster (The Darkest of Discos, Leaves, Where are they going, Future Radio..)


7: Spinnerette (Spinnerette)


8: The Creepshow (Run For Your Life)


9: The Legion of Doom (Incorporated)


10: The Like (Release Me, Are you thinking what I'm thinking)


So tell me, what are you listening to?

No comments:

Post a Comment