Sunday 11 December 2011

DIY Temporary Ombre Hair Color

Lately I've been seeing a lot of ombre/dip dye hair coloring everywhere (oh, why did my 'uncool' hair styles from high school have to be fashionable now? hah), and I decided to look into one product in particular, Color Bug by Kevin Murphy.

This is what's got everyone talking.
Apparently its a chalk like block that you rub into your hair for temporary colouring. After looking up a few reviews online (mostly good, besides the mess it makes of your hands and shirt during application) I decided to look at a video by the creator. He was saying it was inspiring by people in India who used pure pigment to dye their hair, and in the video he just used loose pigment, not the block form that sells for ~$25. It also apparently works much better for blondes than brunettes, but if there's a will there's a way!

Watching the video, I remembered a blush sample I bought online from Bad Bitch Cosmetics (one of my favourite eye shadow companies) simply because of what a ridiculous pink it was. I would never use it as a blush but it's not eye safe so I've been holding onto it.

I'm so sick right now, but at least my hair looks cool! PS: Look who got that Harry Potter shirt!!!
It came out pretty good for a first try! I was also surprised to see that not too much blush fell out/rubbed off onto my face. A little tiny bit but barely noticeable.


After trying to put it in my hand first, and then put it on the hair, I realized that that does not work with this blush. It sticks too much to my hands and doesn't put anything in my hair. But when I grabbed some hair and kind of dunked it into the jar, it stuck to my hair really well, and then I worked my fingers over my hair a few times to smooth it out.


Verdict? Super cheap and easy way to achieve the same look. Messy? Yes, but I don't think much more so than the color bug version (from what reviews have said), and with such color payout for dark hair, its a plus. I'll probably buy a full sized jar of the blush next time I order from them since I'm only working with a sample right now, and put more in next time I do this.


PS: I did this with no product in dry hair. I tried it with a little hair putty and it didn't make a difference, but I think hairspray might make it hold more.

I also tried 2 cheap packed eyeshadows that I got from Sally Beauty, that was easier to apply since it was closer to the color bug version.

No comments:

Post a Comment