Wednesday 7 December 2011

Glass Photo Ornament tutorial

First, let me say this. If my mom, or Mark's mom is reading this.. Step away from the computer! My dad doesn't have a computer (I know, right?!) so I don't have to worry about him. This year is all about home made gifts, and this is one of the tutorials I want to share with you. I have a few others planned but for fear of discovery I cannot post them until after the 18th.



I made these darling ornaments for the holidays and they're fairly easy to do.

What you need:
Glass cabochons/flat marbles (mine are sizes 40x30. If you don't know where to get these, check out etsy. There are hundreds of listings for these)
Strong liquid glue
Hot glue
Ribbon/string/beads
Photos
Pretty paper/xmas cards
And preferably, glitter. Cause what's the holidays without glitter???

How to:

First thing, make sure your pictures are tiny enough to fit under the glass pieces (I got my photos printed at one of those Kodak instant kiosks that have the option to put 4 or 9 photos on a regular 4x6 sheet to ensure they're tiny).

Choose where you want to lay the glass down, and coat the picture in that area. I had some laminating stickers that I put on the picture so the ink wouldn't run (I hoped it wouldn't the first time, and when everyones faces melted into ugly blobs I had to peel the glass off and print more pictures..) Cut the piece out. I cut out a hole on paper so I could see exactly where I wanted to lay the glass.

Glue the glass down to the picture and press down hard to remove all the excess glue and any air bubbles.


You can do 2 photos, but what I decided to do was one photo and a little message and the year on some holiday colored paper. (A perfect use for some of those paint chips lying around..)



Now glue both sides together! Let them dry really smooshed together good. One option is to add the loop now. Cut some ribbon and stick it between the layers so that when everything is dry, its all ready to go.


Once those are dry, if you didn't add the loop in the previous step, get out the glue gun and hot glue the ribbon/beads around the seam. Make sure to put a loop at the top so that it can be hung. I used glass beads on wire, that I hot glued around with an extra blob at the top that I covered in glitter.

Embellish with charms, bows, glitter to your liking and it's all ready!

If you plan on putting this tutorial anywhere, or making your own, I would love to see! Just, as always, do not use my tutorials for commercial gain. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment