Friday 16 March 2012

From Start to Finish

I find when I sew something, I either make up everything as I go along, or draw out every single little detail down. I've got three sketchbooks of ideas. They're a combination of things I've seen in store windows, on runways, original ideas and random scribbles, words, and inspiration pieces. Most probably won't see the light of day, and many change drastically during the sewing process.

Sometimes though, things come out fairly similar to what I had planned from the beginning. I think it's really interesting to see what something looks like as an idea versus a finished product, and so I went through my sketchbooks to find a few examples to share with you. I hope you enjoy looking at these as well.

Original sketch complete with random notes.

Final product. No elastic, added studs to the straps, wider front panel/less fishnet.

Side view, when Diana (my mannequin) was able to stand on her own. The stand broke so now she just lays around :(.
I have no idea what was so funny..

Changed placement of stars. 

And on me, a few years ago. (That was before my thyroid was regulated so I weighed quite a bit more.  I really dislike this picture but anyway..)
A gift for a friend. Note that I still use the word 'groovy'.

Final product. Recipient may or may not be crying, but I don't have another picture to show.  Tamed down the sleeves, made the pockets more fun, design on only one side. 
I've dog eared quite a few pages in my books and I really should make it a goal to make more of the things I've had there. Now if I can just get out of my 'sewer's block' as I'm calling it and get moving. :) Wish me luck?? Anyone out there have tricks for getting back in the groove of things?

No comments:

Post a Comment