Sunday 16 October 2011

Strawberry Sorbet 'Recipe' (without an ice-cream maker)

Its been hot in Ottawa, to a couple of Cape Bretoners. Especially for this time of year. And I've been wanting to try my hand at making ice creams and sorbets for a while but I don't have an ice cream maker.
That's okay though! Totally not necessary. See?


I looked at a couple recipes online and came up with my own. Most of my recipes I make up as I go (I prefer to do things that way) but if you know the process and a general idea it should be easy for you to do the same.

I used my Magic Bullet for blending, and used 2 of their mixing containers. You could use one for less, a full sized blender for more, its completely up to you! The recipe is based off the size of the container and your taste buds. There is no wrong way to do this!!

Instructions:
Using a bag of frozen strawberries, I filled 2 magic bullet 'cups' to the top with strawberries, added the juice of half a lime, filled 1 half and half with orange juice and water, the other with just water, and I blended the heck out of it. (The OJ/no OJ was just to see the taste difference, and you can mix it however you'd like for your tastes.)

I added a bit more water to each (about another 1/3, enough so that it blends easily but doesn't get too watery) and a few table spoons of sugar. Blend some more.

This is the part where you do a little taste test. If it needs more sugar, add it in. I read on a few pages to make it a bit sweeter than normal since the freezing will tone down the sweetness, and I did find that to be true so feel free to make it a bit sweeter.

Meanwhile, a metal bowl was chilling in the freezer. Dump the contents into the bowl and put it back in.

From this point on, every half hour/hour, take the mixture out and whisk it really good until its smooth.



After a few hours (essentially until it looks like a good texture to you, and its properly chilled/frozen) its ready to serve! I ate some early and it was fine, just a bit thinner, but delicious.


This 'recipe' is completely customizable. Use pineapple juice instead of orange. Honey instead of sugar. Add coconut, add a couple spoonfuls of vodka (they say its good to keep a smooth texture). Just get in the kitchen and please those tastebuds!

No comments:

Post a Comment