Tuesday 18 October 2011

T-shirt Quilt (and mini text tutorial)


So I spent a good chunk of time yesterday finishing a quilt for Mark, since I promised him one months ago (in my defence, they are really hard to make because you have to find enough tshirts..) but I'm happy its done since it was so long overdue.


Its the same size as one I had made for myself, and eventually I might stitch them together into one giant blanket, but for now, they're staying seperate.

I've seen other tshirt quilts online and I've made some others that were more squared and proper looking, but I much rather the patchwork, all over the place shapes and designs that these ones have.

If you are interested to know how I made it, just keep reading!

What you need:
A flanelette sheet of whatever size you want
Fleece (the same size as the sheet)
A million t-shirts. Or approx 25.

Instructions:
Lay your sheet out flat. Cut the fleece to fit on top of the sheet, but leave an inch around the whole edge. Fold the sheet edges overtop and sew them down.
Amazingly photo-realistic..
Next, cut the fronts off of all the tshirts, and sew them together. You can measure them and make them all even squares (12"x12", or whatever measurement you want..) or sew a bunch of columns together, then attach them. What I did was lay out all the tshirt pieces on top to make sure I had enough, then sewed pieces together randomly until they were all attached.

Once you get to this point, fold the tshirts edges so that they're equal with the bottom piece (the raw edge is sandwiched in between) and sew around again.

Thats it!

If anyone is confused with the instructions (I know, I should have taken pictures but I started this quilt before I started the blog..) leave a comment and let me know, I'll try to clear things up!

~

In other news, I finally got the materials to do fake nails! I have one set done (of 20 nails, 2 of each size), and once I have a few other sets finished I'll put them online and show some pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment